Sunday, September 24, 2017

Accordion Foldables!

Hey everyone, I wanted to quickly post all about how I use paper accordion foldables to show sequence in my classroom. I meant to do it ages ago and totally forgot! Foldables are a great way to pull away from traditional worksheets and create new and engaging opportunities for students to show their understanding. We use them often in my classroom to show sequence in both Social Studies or Language Arts. Below you can see how by simply taking a single piece of construction paper, you can fold it into a booklet that when pulled reveals so much more!

This example below is from my Farm to Table unit on TPT. Students read about how eggs travel from from the farm to the table! They then sort the different events in the process in order from beginning to end! I provide each student with a 9x12 construction paper that I've sliced in half and folded into sixths. They then overlap and glue two of the sections together to create a little booklet.


In this unit, students glue the different steps in the process to the booklet and number them from beginning to end. Sometimes, I use it as a way for students to explore text. They highlight the different steps in the passage and then can refer back to the passage when working on their foldable. Other times, I use it as the end assessment to see if students have understood our week long study on eggs! Below you can see what a finished product might look like! For students who struggle with the foldable or when I run out of time as all teachers do, I will also sequence stories or content like the example in the bottom of the picture! Students can still enjoy the process of sorting the steps in sequence in a way in a way that allows for them to see the finished process in front of them. 


I love how foldables can make the material come alive in a very hands on way!



No comments:

Post a Comment