Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dr. Seuss

So I know that I'm a little behind, but I wanted to make sure that I posted some of the images from our school's March theme centered around Dr. Seuss.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 that I drew for our Reading Night!
Each grade in the school was given a list of Dr. Seuss books that we needed to read to get ready for our School's Reading Night at the end of March. Second grade had to read the titles below. (Though many of my students checked out other Dr. Seuss books from the school library)

1. Horton hears a Who
2. The Butter Battle
3. The Cat and the Hat
4. Gertrude Mcfuzz
5. The Sneetches
6. Green Eggs and Ham
7. Horton hatches an egg
8. Yertle the Turtle
9. The Lorax
10. The Grinch who stole Christmas

It was so much fun checking off the different books and discussing each one! They loved embarking on an author's study and I enjoyed using his various books  as great mentor texts to discuss Author's purpose, making connections and problem and solution with my class as well!

For reading night we had to decorate a poster to hang in the cafeteria to be judged by the school librarians. We Won!! Look at our poster below! I drew the cat and the hat and they colored him and each wrote a short paragraph, giving evidence for their favorite Dr. Seuss book!

Check out that blue ribbon!! 
We also displayed our Lorax wall at Reading Night that showed the Second grade's thinking and analysis of the quote, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful, lot nothing is going to get better. Its not!"


Dr. Seuss is an amazing author to study in the elementary classroom. My students loved learning so much about him and his many books. We even read his biography just before easter during our study on the difference between Biographies and Autobiographies! 

Not going to lie... I'm kind of sad that March is over! Every Month should be Dr. Seuss month!  

No comments:

Post a Comment