Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hitting the Target

In my classroom I teach every single day, using the workshop model. Expeditionary Learning expects that students are aware of their learning, and that they understand the objectives that they're trying to reach. The workshop model as a result does just that. It hooks or engages them in the learning. It breaks down the objective and instructs the students towards achieving such target. Next it guides them towards success by working towards it together as a class or in small groups. Finally it sets them free to achieve the goal on their own. They are asked to complete the task and prove their own success. Therefore as the lesson comes to a close, they can assess themselves and discusses their understanding.

The Workshop Model

1. Hook
2. Mini Lesson "I do"
3. Guided Practice "We do"
4. Independent Practice "You do"
5. Share/Debrief 

It's an overall wonderful structure for teaching, yet its many parts sometimes make getting to the Share and Debrief portion of the Lesson difficult. I as a result created the following tool. 

When my students are done with their independent work, they turn it in and assess themselves on a large classroom target. They use magnets to place their "Understanding or learning" on the learning objective. They decide if they "Got it,""Need more help or practice" or "have no idea how to reach the target." I use magnets that can be easily moved. My students love being able to show me if they need more help and also watch their magnet move closer and closer to the achieving the target. 

I at first made them on magnetic strips. I later used stronger magnets and glued them to round wooden pieces I bought at hobby lobby.  
On the side of my desk my students store their magnets. 
I still need to get our classroom target laminated, but I love its bright colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment