Wednesday, September 4, 2013

This year...

As part of my switch to California and to a new school, I also switched to a brand new model of instuction. I no longer am an Expeditionary Learning teacher but rather a Blended Learning one. Both styles of education encourage their teachers to use research based and effective techniques on a daily basis. They also contain similar components of a project based learning style, however, they direct their attention and focus to a different emphasis.

Expeditionary Learning strives towards student understanding of the learning process, and the use of high quality work on products that span both subjects, and standards. It also looks at reason and motive behind learning, engaging students in its aim to produce work for an audience.

Whereas Blended Learning combines projects and learning with the integration of technology, attempting to meet the needs of each and every student, while also encouraging them to open their eyes and minds to the 21st century. Accommodating, and adapting apps on iPads and or laptops aid in instruction, practice and assessment at the click of a button. They increase the ease of differentiation, so as to help teachers best meet the needs, levels and interests of each student in class. While also acting as way to engage and encourage students to think, wonder and explore the world around them while working on different technology infused projects.

Both models are amazing and so well researched. I have already seen their effectiveness and the deepening of learning and understanding that they create in both a classroom and school community. I feel so blessed and excited to have had the opportunity to receive some training on both. And although I'm just beginning to skim the surface with Blended Learning, I can't wait to see how it improves my style and overall effectiveness as well.

This year is going to be an extremely tough year transitioning from what I know... to what I need to be for this new school. It's going to be a lot of work and I'm sure I'm going to fall flat on my face numerous times, but I'm excited. This year is going to be an amazing and enlightening adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment